Home About Recipes Gallery Contact
Rainbow M&M Fish Cupcakes
Friday 6 April 2012

Hey guys!!! It's the Easter holidays so I'm away from university for 3 weeks! Being back at home means I can experiment and bake to my heart's content! As I was doing my "cake research", I found Debbie Sweet's Mini M&M Rainbow cupcakes and fell in love! You can find those cupcakes through here. But here is my attempt at those little goodies...


As soon as I saw Debbie's recipe, I was inspired and was so excited that I went on a random little shopping spree! I needed a new piping bag... Well that was my excuse anyway.



Now, onto the cake making... You can buy ready-made cupcakes at any supermarket, if you wish. But if you prefer to bake them yourself, like me, just follow the quick and easy recipe below!


Ingredients:
  • 150g butter, softened
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 150g self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 2-3 tbsp milk
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C/Gas Mark 4. Place 12 paper cases into a fairy cake/muffin tin.
  2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla essence.
  3. Sift in the flour and mix. Be careful not to overmix. Add a couple of spoons of milk to prevent the mixture from being too thick.
  4. Fill the cake liners. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  5. Remove the cakes and leave to cool. 
To make the buttercream, I used 125g very soft butter and 250g icing sugar. Then whisk the two ingredients together into a large bowl until the mixture goes fluffy. Seperate the buttercream into 5 different portions. Save a tiny amount of the white icing for the 5th portion as this will be used for the eyes. Then add droplets of the food colouring into each of the first 4 portions. I used red, yellow, green and blue. Keep on adding the food dyes into your mixture until it reaches your desired hue!


To assemble, you need your homemade icing, M&M's (preferrably Minis) and of course, your cupcakes! You will also need a piping bag with a round nozzle to make the eyes.


Now, just spread the icing onto each cupcake and try to do this as neatly as possible. Then place the M&M's on one side for the 'tail' and 2 red M&M's for the 'lips' on the other side. Pipe a small round white icing for the eye and top it off with the brown M&M for the 'eye'!


Debbie used Mini M&M's which is the perfect size in my opinion! I couldn't find the minis in my supermarket so I had to settle with normal sized M&M's :( As a result, my fishes look kind of demented and out of proportion! I also ran out of M&M's so I didn't get to decorate the tail to the extent that I wanted it to be! If you get the chance to do this, I suggest using the mini M&M's if available, as they are much much better to use for decoration! 


These little treats are great for a light snack in the afternoon! Not only are they incredibly cute but they are also pretty tasty! As soon as I finished making these, my bro and sis already snatched a couple to eat! This recipe is super duper quick and easy so you guys should try it out too!



Profile

Hii!!! I'm Anna. A 21 year old Media student in London with a baking obsession. I like to make cakes, desserts or any kinds of sweet things and blog about them!

Links
Subscribe
Follow on Bloglovin
Misc


Instagram