Home About Recipes Gallery Contact
Homemade Protein Bars
Monday 12 November 2012

I'm not one for health and fitness. Heck, I don't know anything about exercising or muscle building and all that stuff. But after my boyfriend complained that I was ruining his healthy fitness and regime by bringing him my cakes and desserts all the time, I thought it would be a nice gesture to make him these protein bars.


It is super easy to make. I can't emphasise enough how easy it is, the only skill you need is mixing! This recipe is not mine, I got it from this awesome dude over here

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups oatmeal
  • 1 cup whey protein
  • 1/4 cup almonds or any kind of peanuts
  • 1/4 cup dried raisins or cranberries (I used a mix of both)
  • 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup organic peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
  • 1/4 cup almond or soya milk
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1/4 cup 70% dark chocolate, cut into chunks (optional)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Procedure:
  1. In a large bowl, mix the oatmeal, whey protein, almonds, dried fruits and cinnamon.
  2. Melt the peanut butter, nectar, milk, apple sauce, chocolate and vanilla in a saucepan until melted and fully combined. Do not let it boil.
  3. Slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. It might get tough to mix it altogether as it will be sticky.
  4. Line an 8x8 glass dish with parchment paper. Pour into the prepared dish and spread evenly, making sure the surface is even.
  5. Cover and chill in the fridge for 2 hours (the longer the better). Slice into bars or squares, depending on the size you want it to be. Drizzle the top with the honey or nectar. Make sure to chill the protein bars in the fridge for a good couple of hours, otherwise, it might not be set properly when you cut it.


I'm not an expert on protein bars but I do know it tastes good! I had a slice when I was wrapping them individually into wrappers and it was so tasty, I wanted to eat all of it. I'm pretty sure the boyfriend also enjoyed it as he told me, he ate seven in a day!


To make these protein bars even healthier, use unsweetened dried fruits and apple sauce. The dark chocolate is optional but you could swap it for cocoa powder. It will cut down the fat and sugar content. You could also reduce the agave nectar or honey, or use a low-cal sweetener you feel comfortable with.


Profile

Hii!!! I'm Anna. A 21 year old Media student in London with a baking obsession. I like to make cakes, desserts or any kinds of sweet things and blog about them!

Links
Subscribe
Follow on Bloglovin
Misc


Instagram